Since its inception, the British Egyptian Business Association (BEBA), has focused on working to foster Egypt/UK relations that has grown to become one of the most dynamic and effective civic organizations in Egypt.
Seizing the moment
During the years, BEBA has organized a number of specialized, general business and economic events in Egypt and has inspired the thought and discussion necessary for progress to occur. In addition, the dedicated leadership and active engagement of BEBA’s members and partners, have given rise to numerous initiatives and activities to improve and promote Egypt/UK relations.
British Egyptian Business Association will focus on expanding its role within the business community through better utilizing its resources in achieving its set targets. BEBA will play an important role in supporting the Egyptian government to meet the challenges of economic reform by acting as a market facilitator. The association will ensure that Egypt is places at its rightful place on the global economic stage, mainly through trade promotion and attracting further investments.
BEBA aims to achieve these goals through extending its activities to cover wider areas while focusing on its core values which aim to place the association in a position to:
- Reflect the voice of the private sector and extend its lobbying base by increasing the number of committees and empowering its members
- Work in a transparent manner, within a framework that maintains a comprehensive perspective of Egyptian macro-economic policies
- Work collectively with other organizations in supporting initiatives to empower creative young entrepreneurs to establish their presence within the local and international market
- Enhance capacity and bilateral technical assistance through promoting and maximizing opportunities for foreign trade and investment links with the UK and beyond
- Adopt an effective knowledge management mechanism aimed at enhancing the efficiency of the organization
- Act as a centre of knowledge that offers consultation services and market insights
- Allow a platform to exchange information and mutual learning between Egypt and the UK
To demonstrate its firm commitment to promoting trade and cooperation between both countries, BEBA provides a range of high quality, interactive services aimed at supporting its goals for the coming period, which will focus on fostering further economic cooperation and understanding between the business communities of Egypt and the UK. Such services include: proactive matchmaking between Egyptian and British companies; organizing roundtable discussions, conducting workshops and seminars, lobbying the Egyptian government on behalf of its members participating in trade fairs, hosting visiting trade missions and UK government officials etc. BEBA plans to organize interactive events that allow better communication between national and international investors and open new horizons for Egypt and UK businesses:
- Organize visits to key local governorates that have become attractive destinations for investors at both North and South of Egypt
- Develop an E-newsletter that provides current information on key economic, market trends in addition to upcoming events both in Egypt and abroad
- Organize conferences on Egypt in the UK, followed by road shows that allow local companies to meet British Counterparts and offer matchmaking opportunities in addition to creating a forum to inform on investment and trade
- Develop and maintain a database of studies, economic corporations and general economic information on Egypt and the bilateral relations between Egypt and the UK in specific
- Develop a proactive website that allows better interaction with members
- Provide online matchmaking service for members
- Provide a membership directory to facilitate communication amongst members
Within the framework of increasing effectiveness, BEBA has expanded its network with the British Embassy in Egypt, the European Commission in Egypt, Chambers of Commerce, and Egyptian governmental and non-governmental organizations:
Demonstrating a firm commitment to promoting knowledge management and capacity building, BEBA has built a partnership with the BUE to bring best practice and real hands-on advice from professionals from the UK. BEBA will organize interactive roundtables discussions that address key issues that are of interest to the business community, civil servants and civic society.
- The British University in Egypt (BUE)
To further integrate Egypt into the global economy, BEBA aims to play a catalyst role in creating a pan-European Dialogue through its partnership with CEEBA.
- The Confederation of Egyptian European Business Association (CEEBA)
With the purpose of putting Egypt on the world economic map, BEBA established a partnership with GAFI which acts as a “One Stop Shop”, encompassing delegates from different governmental agencies, under one roof. BEBA aims to work closely with GAFI with providing more information on investment opportunities especially for UK businesses.
- The General Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI)
In order to create a strong link between the British business community and its Egyptian counterparts, BEBA works closely with the EBBC towards the same mission of promoting further opportunities to strengthen the economic and commercial ties between both countries. BEBA aims to work in collaboration with the EBBC to organize Road Shows, identify investors, and allow trade partners seeking to do business with Egypt.
- The Egyptian British Business Council (EBBC)